25 Weeks - Meeting Deb

I met with midwife Deb today and *really* liked her.  Her demeanor reminded me a lot of my high school calculus teacher, which probably had something to do with me liking her.  She was very laid back, and I couldn't help but hope that she is on-call when I go into labor.

My appointment went well.  I drank the orange glucose drink within 5 minutes and thought that it was a lot like drinking flat Sunkist soda but with more sugar.  After about 15 minutes, I started to feel the sugar high, so I walked around outside for a little bit.  I started sweating (cause it was a bit warm and humid), but it helped control the sugar-induced jitters.  By the time I got to the doctor's office, I felt fine.  They drew 3 vials of blood, and I was finally able to wash down all that sugar with some water.  Yay!

The wait before the appointment wasn't as bad as usual.  My appointment was for 1:30, and we were brought back at 1:48.  The midwife came in shortly thereafter, and we were checking out by 2:00.

During the appointment, Deb checked the baby's heartbeat (in the 150s bpm), and he was very active during the appointment...probably from all that sugar!  She sounded very pleased when he kept moving around.  She said that from this point forward, I should feel him move every day.  She measured my uterus (26 cm) and said that is completely normal.  At my last appointment, I was 21 cm (I think).  All the symptoms I reported having were deemed "normal," which did a lot to put my fears to rest.  Strange how it must come from a healthcare professional that I trust before I can stop worrying about it.  hehe...ok, not so strange.

The baby's movements have transitioned from light nudges to full-out kicks, or that's how it feels.  If I'm not expecting it or waiting for it, they surprise me and make me jump.  When it happens during meetings at work, I can't help but smile to myself every time that I jump because of it.  Very distracting, but way more interesting than whatever the meeting is about.  :)

I can't decide whether I want to say the baby is active like me or active like Dave.  If he is truly kicking me from the womb, then he's definitely active like me.  If he's trying to run in place in there, then he's active like Dave.  There is just no way to tell...unless this kid comes out running!  (Boy, would that hurt!)

I officially have 2 weeks left of the 2nd trimester, but it feels like I've already started the 3rd.  (Heart rate increase, fetal movement increase, shortness of breath, etc.)  I do enjoy the constant reminders that he's inside there, but sometimes the activity makes me feel a bit nauseated.  Oh, and he mostly kicks on the right side.  Does that mean anything?

Comments

  1. Sounds like you are doing great, Mellanie! Before you know it, BBP will be here! Keep up the good work! Love you! Mom P.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts