Here We Go Again!

As of today and based on online calendars, I am 5 weeks and 4 days pregnant!  So far, this pregnancy is similar to the first one in the following ways:

1) Before I ever took a pregnancy test, I felt nauseated when I got hungry.  (This was really my first indicator that I was pregnant.  Usually, when I'm hungry, I'm just hungry...no nausea involved.)
2) I am super- uber-tired all the time.  I had spent a month-and-a-half working on a consistent workout and my energy levels were at an all-time high.  Then, within a week of what would have been implantation, I could barely run 3 minutes straight....after I spent 6 weeks successfully building up to run 20 minutes without slowing or resting.
3) Also before I took a preggo test, I started sleeping more soundly and having dreams.
4) I became really hungry, and it took a couple extra servings of protein and veggies for me to feel full.
5) My boobs hurt.  Every preggo website I've read said they might "tingle and ache."  They lied.  They flat-out hurt.  I have to alternate holding them up after I take off the bra I wore all day that held them up for me.  Holding them up manually makes it quite difficult to shower.  After a while, I re-adjust to the ladies being "free" but it takes a few painful minutes.

Here are some of the differences: My skin is breaking out!  I have 2 pimples on my face, and one of them feels like the size of Mount Vesuvius.  It hurts too.  Nasal congestion and a cough started a few days ago...right around the time the hungry nausea went away.

One of the other main differences with this pregnancy is the connection.  The first time around, I felt more shell-shocked than anything.  Disbelief mingled with fear and a little bit of denial.  I wasn't sure I wanted or was ready to have a baby.  Over time, I began to be okay with it, but then I miscarried.  This time, before I even took the test to confirm, I knew.  The disbelief, fear, and denial have been minute if present at all.  I accepted this pregnancy much faster and with much more of an open heart and mind.  I feel pregnant and the joy that accompanies it.  I am a bit dismayed with the pregnancy symptoms, so far, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that it's a gift.  Even the bad stuff is a gift.  There are women who can't conceive, and for a while, I worried that I was one of them.

It's a huge adjustment for me to feel cruddy the majority of the time.  I've spent the last 1-2 years focusing on myself and getting to where I felt consistently good and energetic.  Right now, I see that I succeeded in my efforts because that "good and energetic" feeling is gone.  Haha!  But it reminds me that I went into this pregnancy as healthy as I could be and my hope is that when the pregnancy is over (and if I continue to take care of myself as I did before, maybe with some modifications), my body will bounce back quickly...so I can keep up with a new baby!!

Comments

Popular Posts