Doulas and Placentophagy

Doulas
I've attended 2 meetings of my "new mothers" meet-up group and am *very* glad that I decided to go and check it out.  It's wonderful to be surrounded by other women who are (essentially) in the same boat as me, so we can discuss all the things going on with our pregnancies.  I've found the support comforting and incredibly helpful.  Collectively, they have opinions and suggestions about everything, which is awesome for me because it helps me target my research a bit more, so the plethora of information out there is not so daunting.  Also, most of these women are supportive of natural birth and treating pregnancy like a normal, natural process.  More and more I see how doctor's offices treat maternity as an illness or temporary disease that will go away in 9 months.  Sometimes I wonder if I've taken on that philosophy--subconsciously--because it's what I've been exposed to.  When I mentioned wanting to try cloth diapering, nearly all the women agreed that it's what they plan to do, or have done, and they suggested Sweet Bottoms for their rental program.

The meetup I attend is hosted by a woman is who also a doula.  Of course, she's going to be "pro-doula," but I admit that I've been fascinated by the concept of a doula since I heard Dayna Martin mention that she was studying to become one (or is one already).  The first time I heard her say the word "doula," I had NO idea what they did.  Now, that I've spoken to one and have talked to women who have had one, I am sold on the concept.  At the birthing center, the midwives are there and are completely dedicated to the woman who is in labor.  They're there to coach, be supportive, and deliver your baby.  When I risked out of the birthing center, I was grieved to realize that I would NOT have that in a hospital setting.  Though I've found a practice with midwives, it is still a doctor's office, and the midwife will be in and out just like an obstetrician would.  The idea of Dave & I being alone in the hospital room with me in pain is kind of frightening.  Having a doula there to support us both would be awesome...and they could be the third-party-voice-of-reason when the doctors and nurses are trying to advocate for induction or drug intervention or whatever the case may be.  So now...on to the task of finding one!

Human Placentophagy (aka Placenta Encapsulation)
During the last two new mom's meetups that I attended, the topic of human placentophagy (or, placenta encapsulation, in the common tongue) came up.  I had no idea what that was, so I asked, and when it was explained to me, I was totally grossed out, BUT found myself intrigued.  What was most curious about it to me was the potential benefit of NOT having postpartum depression.  I know that I'm already prone to depression, and if consuming the placenta (in encapsulated pill form--no raw placenta smoothies for me, thanks) will help prevent that, I'm all for it.  If it came out of another person's body, then EWWWW (and heck no), but given that it's mine and is already jam-packed with my hormones and cooties AND I'm fairly certain that it is compatible with my system, it seems less gross and not all that risky.  From what I understand, after the baby is born, the levels of progesterone in the mother drop immediately, and having to cope with that sudden drop in hormones is what causes postpartum depression.  I struggled with the increase of the hormone, so I can imagine the difficulties with a sudden drop in them.  I'd definitely prefer to offset that if it is in my power to do so.

Truthfully, the idea of the whole thing still kinda grosses me out, but it's relatively inexpensive and there seems to be very little risk for a lot of benefit.

Comments

Popular Posts