5th Birthday Update

This blog really needs an overhaul, especially since it's not just life with William anymore.  There's Oliver, William's baby brother, who is now 1 year old.

William

Besides that, which I may or may not get to in the near future, life around here has finally taken on some kind of normalcy.  William just turned FIVE years old, and his birthday party was a hit.  He wanted a Fortnite themed birthday, so basically his cupcakes and a few decorations were Fortnite-based, but that was about it.  (I'm going to need to work on my 'themed birthday' skills.)  We had about 10+ kids here (ages 9 and under), so I had some minute-to-win-it games lined up to keep the kids occupied.  There was a lot of laughing, and it seemed that everyone had a good time.  I did learn a few things, though:
  1. When entertaining little kids, you need games where everyone can play at the same time, not in rounds.  Their attention spans are too short.
  2. Chocolate cake will pretty much be the favorite.  Every time.  (We had carrot cake and chocolate cake as the cupcakes.)
  3. Two to 2.5 hours is ideal for a kids birthday party.
  4. Don't let the 5yo near the presents without supervision.  He'll open everything as quickly as he can.  I have no idea who gave what gift because he ripped off paper so quickly.  Gotta slow him down!
  5. Put small candies in a pinata.  Lots of them.
I wanted William's 5th birthday party to be something he'd remember, and I hope that he does.  I remember my 5th or 6th birthday party (roller skating party at Sportsworld), and it was pretty neat.  The rink made the entire place dark and then played Michael Jackson's "Thriller" and showed the video on the projector.  Spooky!!  But I definitely remember it.  Oh, and holding hands with a boy.  LOL!  Oh, the memories.  My point is, I remembered mine so I hope William remembers his fondly.  His next big birthday party like that will probably be when he's 10.  For 6-9 birthdays, we'll probably keep it small and intimate but still lots of fun!


Oliver
Now that Oliver can handle longer car rides without me sitting next to him in the backseat, we've been venturing out more.  I take him to the grocery store, the park, and events.  We still need to work around his nap schedule, which just changed again.  He's transitioning from two naps a day to just one, and it lands somewhere between 11:30-1:00.  I let him sleep as long as he can, but so far, he hasn't gone more than 1.5 hours.  It opens up later afternoons for activities, which is really nice.  He's been going down for bed around 7:00, which is....

***
Guess we'll never know what it was.  Haha!  I don't remember what I was going to say.  I'm publishing this draft as is....from November 2018!  I got side-tracked and never published it.  Oops.

Comments

Popular Posts