Sleep Diary - Days 3-6

We travelled out of town, and I haven't really had the chance (or inclination) to post until now.  I don't remember each day's events, but I'll record what is most significant to me.

Day 6
I got W to bed around 9:40 and was asleep myself around an hour later.  I woke up at 1:40 either because W did (patted him back to sleep pretty quickly) or because I had to pee.  Either way, I could *not* fall back asleep until 5 or 6 a.m.  It sucks laying in bed trying to will yourself to sleep but can't.  During the time awake, I had a revelation and may have figured out when/why my body (subconscious?) won't let me fall back asleep.

About a week-and-a-half ago, I tried to transition W into sleeping in his own bed, in his own room.  He fell asleep pretty easily (since I'm still next to him), and I went downstairs to sleep in my bed.  To make a long story short, he fell out of the bed.  Dave heard the thump of him hitting the floor, and I didn't wake up until I heard Dave's panicked voice saying W's name.  I went from fully asleep to fully awake in less than a second at the sound of Dave's anxiety.  By the time I got upstairs, W was crying (understandably so), but I couldn't find any signs of permanent damage.  I felt horrible because I didn't hear W cry or fall.  I was sleeping so soundly, that it didn't wake me up.  The monitor was supposed to transmit the crying, but a pop-up alert on my phone caused the usual app that keeps the phone from going into standby to be overridden and there was essentially no monitor on. So I heard nothing until Dave's voice.  Sigh.

What that all means is that I don't think I've been letting myself sleep soundly since that night.  I moved W back downstairs and started the night-weaning, but still have been waking around 2 and can't fall back to sleep until 5.  The upside of being up this night was that I got to see how W is handling the night-weaning.  He is actually sleeping from about 9:30p to 4:30a, which is a vast improvement, so I'm hoping that with this revelation combined with his better sleeping will allow my subconscious to finally relax and let me sleep.

I've been running on fumes the last few days--starting to get headaches, nausea, and fatigue.  I don't have the energy to do much more than barely keep up with W, which isn't fun.  Working out drains me of what little energy I do have, so getting better sleep is becoming imperative.

Aside from being in the car for 3+ hours for the drive to Charlotte, it's been nice being here.  I don't have the usual household distractions that I have at home (laundry, garden-tending, etc.).  We didn't make it into the pool today, but possibly tomorrow morning. We'll see.  The mosquitos are awful here, and W's poor legs are covered in red spots.  At least 10 on one leg...and his legs are tiny, in comparison to an adult's.  There's even a red welt on his neck.  He keeps trying to scratch them, which only makes it itch worse, so I definitely need to get some bug spray to put on him.

So....anyways.  It's getting close to my bedtime.  Here's to hoping I get some sleep too.  I expect to wake twice tonight, but hopefully, I'm pleasantly surprised or at the very least, only proved right.

Comments

Popular Posts