One Year Old...

William is finally asleep, and I don't know what to do.  I spend nearly all day focused on him, especially since he's been taking short, short naps (40 minutes or less) and all other times keeps going and going like the Energizer Baby.  My options are sleep, watch TV, and eat.  I just had a snack (and I think I ate one too many pecans), though it wasn't really what I wanted...[pizza, if you were wondering].  I have a feeling that I'll end up brushing my teeth, crawling into bed, and watching a show or two on my phone before going to sleep.

In the last week, I think William hit his big developmental growth spurt.  He *really* learned to walk, and now he's wandering all over the house on two feet!  It's great, but now, I have to keep a closer eye on him because he's moving faster and completely into climbing.  Yesterday, I was in the kitchen and looked over to see him kneeling on an upside down box from Amazon, which was positioned next to the end table in the living room, with his hands on the end table.  I casually walked over, as he lifted his right leg to climb from the cardboard box to the end table.  Yep.  Let the heart-stopping daredevil adventures begin.  Needless to say, that box is now safely tucked away in the junk room, guarded by the trusty baby gates.  ("Trusty" for now, until he learns to muscle himself up and over them.)

Several other catch-your-breath moments that left me shaking my head include him trying to scale the side of the Pack-n-Play (PnP).  His truck currently resides in the PnP because he puts 2 feet in the seat and stands up on it, without the benefit of knowing to brace it somehow so it doesn't roll away while he's standing on it.  Of course, when we put him in the PnP, he just uses the truck as a stool to look over the side of the play pen at the floor.  Umm...  He uses my nursing stool to climb on top of the coffee table.  He used my carry-on suitcase as a step stool to climb over the armrest of the couch.  He can climb into the tall laundry basket, without it falling over and without a stool of some kind.  Yeah, that one is a bit amazing to watch.  He lifts Dave's soccer ball up and dunks it into the PnP.  He took the silverware basket out of the dishwasher and walked all over the house with it today.  He put his toys in the compartments and kept on moving.

William's babbling also took an upswing.  It's "mamamamama" or "mbababababa" for everything, though there's a distinctive "Ama" when he wants Mom.  He points with an open hand (like a presenter) at things that he wants.  When he wants the Baba, he basically says, "a-mama," and starts pulling at the neckline of my shirt...or sometimes lifts the bottom of my shirt up.  Yeah, that'll be fun in public.

As far as food, he doesn't seem to want the same things too often.  He prefers seasoned foods and loves fruits.  Right now, he's partial to strawberries, though I can get him to eat pureed mango or pureed pear & mango (in the pouches).  I don't have much in the way of leftovers for tomorrow, so it'll be interesting to see what I can come up with for his meals.  He has been nursing a lot throughout the day, so I shouldn't be as worried as I am about his caloric intake.

His sleep definitely took a step back.  He wakes frequently and mostly wants the Baba to go back to sleep, though I've been trying to distinguish between late night hungry vs. comfort requests.  I don't mind giving him the Baba when he's hungry, but he tends to chew on me when it's for comfort.  And that just makes this Momma really grumpy when it's the middle of the night.  I'm hoping he'll go back to just waking once at night, and this 3-4 times a night stuff will be a memory soon....well, until the next growth spurt.

Dave & I still talk about how fast William is growing and how fast his first year went by.  His head is huge (relative to his body).  At his well check, his head circumference was in the 92nd percentile, while his weight and height were at 49th and 50th percentiles.  Heh.  Guess his brain is growing quick.

My absolute favorite, though, is early mornings with William.  As he's waking up, he smiles at me and makes a "ssssss" sound, then buries his head into me.  I've learned to maneuver my head so he doesn't head butt me, but it's so cute.  This morning, I was giving him great big bear hugs, and when I'd let him go and look at him, he'd lean back in as if asking me to do it again.  Repeat 4-5 more times.  OMG.  That is love.  Such a sweet, affectionate boy.  Heehee.

And on that note, it's time for me to brush those teeth and crawl under the covers.  This momma is tired!

Comments

Popular Posts