So. Freakin. Fast.

I never imagined my kid would have such a pleasing face.  It sounds silly to word it that way, but I can't stop looking at it...whether it's in pictures, or in person, or while he's sleeping.  He's his own person in ways that we haven't even seen yet because he hasn't begun talking, but it's all there.  I can see it in his eyes.  They are full of emotions, ideas, opinions, humor (and more), and I find myself looking forward to him learning how to express all of those things.

I'm not trying to rush his growing up at all because it is fast enough on its own.  His birthday is less than 2 weeks away, and then my baby is going to be ONE.  Seriously.  1.  I have trouble wrapping my mind around where the time has gone.

My friend just had her baby almost 3 weeks ago, and (unfortunately) she's had a bumpy road to recovery and breastfeeding for her has been challenging too.  I recall my own struggles with bf-ing my little one, and those early days, though they seem sooo long ago, are easy to recall.  I remember it sucked.  I could probably look back at blog posts from around that time and have an even more vivid reminder of how much sitting on the couch for 8 weeks sucked.  How difficult it was to "sleep when baby sleeps."  How I just wished and wished it was easy already.  I tell my friend now that I understand her troubles and anxiety and hope she knows that I get it with every fiber of my being.  I've been there.  So have many mothers who have walked a similar path.  No story is exactly the same, but there are some definite similarities.  For whatever reason, when you're on that path, it's easy to forget that you're not alone.  Especially when sitting up trying to get your precious babe to latch and eat in the wee hours of morning when no one you know is really up... (unless your friend(s) has insomnia).

Anyway, life with William has been just plain fun lately.  He has been on a fairly regular routine where he wakes around the same time every morning, naps during the day, goes to bed at around the same time every night, and eats and plays during all the times in-between.  I told my mom the other day that life as it is right now is kind of how I envisioned motherhood to be.  I had no mental preparedness for all the stages it took to get here.  Maybe that's why it felt so hard at the time.

I'm thinking back over the last year, trying to remember the different stages, marked by William's development.  Premie, newborn, 5 weeks old (gestational due date, so Age 0), 2 months old (Christmas), 3 month old (hated car seat), 4-5 months old (eyes *really* started tracking us across the room), 6 months old (sitting up on his own and really interacting with us more), 7 months old (army crawling), 8 months old (Momma going crazy with trying to get him on a sleep routine), 9 months old (sleep routine kicks in while we're on vacation in Florida), 10-12 months old (motor skills develop: pulling himself up, taking independent steps, curiosity drives him to get into everything).  Yep.  A year.  So freakin fast.

I am in the midst of getting ready for his birthday party this Sunday.  I expect it to be really informal...just all of our friends getting together to celebrate (with food) at a park.  Nothing else really planned.  Friends with kids can let them play on the playground and run around, while the adults watch and/or mingle.  I have asked to borrow a corn hole set so the adults without children can have some form of entertainment, so hopefully, we will have good weather.

I finally got around to doing a trial run of homemade icing for William's smash cake.  There was a bit of trouble when creaming the butter and sugar and trying to get it smooth, only to learn after over an hour of attempts that you have to add the milk/flour mixture to get the sugar's grainy-ness to disappear.  Heh.  That is why I cook more than I bake.  Anyway, it ended up being really good--not too sweet.  I let William try a small bit on my finger (to make sure he isn't allergic since I made it with almond milk), only to learn that he doesn't like it.  After he tasted it, he refused any more that I offered him.  Oh, the irony.  All that effort to make it, and I could have just gotten store-bought icing that won't even be on his cupcake/muffin.  Ah well.  I'll eat it.  It's good.  [He didn't have any allergic reaction to what I gave him, so yay!]

I have sooo many little videos of him on my phone.  They aren't labeled any further than the date-timestamp, which is great for knowing when it was taken.  My MIL has mentioned that she wished the videos were longer, but I purposefully kept them short (typically no longer than 2 minutes), so they could be uploaded and downloaded pretty quickly.  That reminds me: I have lots of videos backed up on Google+ that I could probably share with folks...  Gotta remember to do that tomorrow.

That's all I can think to write about now.  No other semi-organized thoughts are coming to mind.  Happy Tuesday, y'all!

Comments

Popular Posts