Let the baby lead

I'm waiting for some soup to finish simmering so I can have a late dinner.  While it was cooking, I tried to feed and put the baby to sleep.  He ate for a total of about 10 minutes over half an hour cause he kept getting distracted.  He just kept moving around and wouldn't settle.  Finally, I put him down on his stomach, and he's in the process of soothing himself to sleep.

So strange.  I've listened to many people advise me to "sleep train" my son...  that it would be a gift for him to learn to soothe himself to sleep.  Well, he taught me a lesson tonight.  That he is completely capable of telling me when he wants to be put down.  He couldn't get comfortable in my lap, and he was apparently done eating and wanted to go to sleep.  He literally used his voice to tell me what he wanted, but I don't speak Baby, so it took me a while to get it.  But, I did.  I put him down and he spent several minutes moving his head back and forth and squirming every which way, but he wasn't crying.  Eventually, he stilled and his breathing became deep and steady.  Shortly, after that, his eyes were moving rapidly and he was dreaming.  My child soothed himself to sleep for the first time.

There was very little that I needed to do.  I don't think it'll be like that every night, but at least I know what to look for now.  I was beginning to think that I had to do something pretty drastic to get my kid to this stage, but I feel like he came to it in his own time.  Baby-led parenting does make things much easier, I think.  I know this is my first kid, and we have miles to go, but so far, my instincts say to let him lead.

On a different note, I find that I'm enjoying the few minutes I get to be on the computer when he first goes to sleep.  Tonight is the first night I've played classical music to wind him down, and it's helping ME relax!  Actually, I've been able to take a shower every night for the last 3 days, and it's been amazing to help me calm down at night.

Speaking of...  I think I'm ready to sleep.  Gonna chat with a friend for a few more minutes, then I'm off.

Comments

Popular Posts