Sleeping Changes at Night

I feel like I've been going non-stop for the last 5-6 days.  Exercise is slowly becoming part of my routine, which helps quite a bit, but I recently changed up how we handle night-nursing, so that is probably the main reason for my recent exhaustion.

As some of my readers may know, we've been struggling with sleep for quite some time.  W has finally gotten to an age where I'm comfortable trying something different.  He usually nurses on the baba to go to sleep, which won't change for a while.  But he also nurses at each awakening.  Ugh.  The first night we tried it the new way, the poor boy screamed for an hour and a half.  He wanted baba to go back to sleep, and I wouldn't give it to him because I want him to learn how to sleep without it.  (There will come a day when he no longer has it to go to sleep, and his nightly demands were beginning to infringe upon my sleep, so it was time for a change.)  Eventually, he did fall asleep on his own, and since then, he doesn't fuss quite so much when the baba isn't presented on-demand.  I try to let him nurse as much as he wants during the day, but he gets so distracted with "doing" that I think he forgets.  Well, we're 4-5 days into the reduced night-nursing, and W seems more rested to me.  YAY!  WOOHOO!  I was SO worried at first that it would have negative effects, but so far the worst result is that the babas ache in the middle of the night.  They're used to him nursing often at night.  It'll be nice to have them adjust to more day-nursing.  I just hope he doesn't self-wean with the night-weaning.  I don't think he will, but we'll see.

It's helping with nap time too.  He's already been down for an hour, and I haven't had to go back in and comfort him.  Good sleep for my growing boy.

Well, that's the main thing that's going on right now.  W is not talking yet, but his babbling is increasing quite a bit, and sometimes I think I can hear words in the babble.  I'm not counting it until it is clear, enunciated, and deliberate.  His sign language is definitely deliberate now.  He asks for "more" constantly.  Somehow, I've learned the difference between "more milk" and "more" anything else, though he uses the same sign for both.  He is waving now, too.  And blows kisses when I say "I love you!"  (Sweetest thing ever, I must say.)  He has used the sign for "book" when he wants us to read him a book, which mostly means he flips through a book while sitting in our lap.

Baby sign language is awesome!

Comments

Popular Posts