A Moment to Breathe

The pace around here picked up over the last two weeks, as W became crawl-on-hands-and-knees mobile.  He pulls himself up to standing on anything that will bear his weight and won't topple over when he pulls on it.  It's so much fun to watch him explore everything.  We are still in the midst of baby-proofing, which is not an easy task.  I struggled with de-cluttering the house before I even became pregnant, so with being preggers and now with a little munchkin in tow, the task is even more daunting.  But we're getting there.  William climbed up the entire flight of stairs by himself ... sometimes several times a day.  (For those of you gasping in horror, he was completely supervised either by myself or Dave all the way up.)  He makes it all the way up with only pausing once or twice, and he never looks down.  I think kids just inherently know how to climb and aren't really afraid of much (other than being too far from Mama or Dada).

More of his personality is starting to show.  We've seen him get mad several times, and he tends to cry when I tell him not to put something in his mouth.  Sometimes, I can just say "No, honey, don't eat that," and he'll pout a little bit and cry.  But I don't always physically stop him...and surprisingly, sometimes the words are enough to stop him.  It's amazing how they look at you to see if they should or shouldn't do something.  W gets this look that says to me "I want to put this [whatever object] in my mouth, but are you going to stop me?"  Depending on what it is, I'll either let him or stop him, and if I just say no but don't move to stop him, sometimes he proceeds and other times he doesn't.  I haven't figured out what he uses to determine which he's going to do.  I'm learning that even though *I* don't want him to put it in his mouth, it's easier to let him do it once than have to try and stop him over and over again.

Personality.  He's also started screaming for ... who-knows-what.  But we've been mimicking his screams and actions (tensed fist or smacking the table) and he seems to get a kick out of it.  Until he really seems mad that we're imitating him.

Oh, and he's started wrinkling his nose when he's amused by something.  So stinking cute when he does it cause his 4 teeth can sort of be seen too.  One of these days, I'll manage to get a picture of it.  (Yeah, I've been slacking on the picture-taking lately.  It's hard to hold the camera phone steady and keep him from smacking his head on the ground/pavement/floor or from eating the wood chips lining the park playground.)

I've been giving him more solid foods.  He's still all about fruit (blueberries, apples, nectarines, watermelon), but I've also given him chicken, green beans, and avocado.  At some point (while in FMB on vacation), he changed his mind and he likes avocado now.  Cool with me!  Pretty soon, I may try to give him ground beef, tomatoes, and homemade yogurt...not at the same time, of course!  (I made spaghetti tonight, and it's one of my favorite foods, and I think it'll be fun watching him try to feed himself spaghetti.  I also made homemade yogurt and am curious if he can eat it without any problems.  His pediatrician told us that he's clear to eat anything but honey at this point.)  I also have some kale made, so maybe I'll puree that up tomorrow and see if he'll eat it.

I guess that's all for now.  I'm starting to get tired.  Little man woke me up before 5 today, and though I tried as hard as I could to go back to sleep, I basically cat-napped/dozed until 8:45.

Anyways...  Good night!

Comments

Popular Posts