Breastfeeding & the Importance of Pumping

I learned something about pumping today--and yesterday.  I learned that going 12 hours without pumping and having only baby attempt to pull milk from the breasts AND not eating sufficient calories for the day make Momma feel not-so-great.  I never get dizzy anymore, unless something is wrong, and every time my milk let down yesterday, I got dizzy.  And it got worse as the day went on.

Combine that with baby screaming nearly all night, and we were a bunch of groggy, unhappy folks this morning.  It took the entire night to figure out that baby does not like being naked and stands it long enough to eat.  He also really likes being swaddled, so when you combine the two: put a long-sleeved shirt on baby and swaddle him up to sleep, then he's content and not screaming.  That's how he's been all day today, and I'm hoping that it continues through the night so we can get some restful sleep.

I have been diligent all day today with pumping, and though I'm not coming up with 150mL at each session, it is still a significant amount.

The "milk let-down" is such an odd feeling.  It is actually a burning sensation.  When it happens while Liam is sucking, my boob gets itchy.  I don't know if that's normal, but eventually, I'll get around to asking someone about it.  Perhaps a lactation consultant.

Nursing has been going fairly well.  Liam latches to the nipple shield way easier than my actual nipple, and I wonder if there is anything a lactation consultant can do to help with latching sans the nipple shield.  I don't know how much they charge, but it's probably really expensive.  Liam seems to be doing fine, but sometimes I think it could go way more smoothly than it has been.

Oh, and the breast pump that my insurance covered arrived the other day.  I finally got around to unpacking it and sterilizing all the pieces today.  I gave it a try earlier, and the lady who rented the hospital-grade pump was totally right.  The one I received just doesn't get as good suction as the hospital grade one.  It's definitely more helpful to use the hospital-grade one while I'm still trying to establish my supply (if that's what I'm doing now), and hopefully, when the rented one has to go back, the newer pump will be sufficient.  At least it comes in its own travel bag!

Well, my 20 pumping minutes are up.  Good night!

Comments

Popular Posts